- Title: Golden Rule Days
- Artist: George Olson and Shirley Olson
- Location: Jefferson Ave. between Washington St. and Ellsworth St.
- Medium: Sculpture
- Installation Date: 2000
- Description: Sculpture in honor of rural teacher Reba Steck who taught for 48 years, training her students to live by the Golden Rule.
- Plaque Text: Each morning before class, Reba Steck's students repeated her version of the golden rule -- "We'll treat everyone the way we want to be treated." These words, an important lesson in kindness and friendship, inspired the artists to create this sculpture which invites visitors to interact with students and their teacher in a one-room schoolhouse. Mrs. Steck taught in one-room schoolhouses for 36 years. The school bell, a gift from the late North Central College President Arlo L. Schilling, symbolizes a call to educate. The words of other prominent area educators adorn the slate chalkboards, reminding us of the vital role that dedicated and carin education played locally throughout the twentieth century.
- Plaque Courtesy Of: Naperville Evening Kiwanis